This year Night of Ideas returns in person, on May 17th, 2022 across a record-breaking 19 US cities and more than 100 countries, coordinated worldwide by the Institut Français. The public will join leading thinkers, authors, community leaders, and artists around the theme (Re)building Together: Where Are We Going?
The evening’s program celebrates our collective resilience while interrogating the path forward for a world in crisis.
Resized for the circumstances, the program will seat 200 in KQED’s new theater called The Commons and will be streamed online in real-time in parallel. The event will also feature a sampling of SFMOMA’s Soapbox Derby cars created by local artists and a bar in the station’s lobby for those who want to watch on the lobby media wall and imbibe at the same time.
Before the main program, from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., join Creativity Explored for tours of artwork installed at KQED featuring neurodiverse and disabled artists working in their San Francisco studios.
The full program is available here but here is a glimpse of it:
- Anuradha Mittal, Executive Director, Oakland Institute
- Bay Area Theater Cypher
- Bruce Cain, Senior Fellow of the Woods Institute for the Environment & Political Science Professor, Stanford University
- Deanna Van Buren, Design Director, Designing Justice
- Debbie Lum, Filmmaker and Director of TRY HARDER! and Rachael Schmidt, documentary participant
- Jacqueline Fabius, Chief Operating Officer, Quantitative Biosciences Institute – UCSF
- Jeff Chang, Author & Senior Advisor, Race Forward
- Julie Owono, Executive Director of Content Policy & Society Lab, Stanford Center on Philanthropy and Civil Society
- Lil Milagro Henriquez, Executive Director & Founder, Mycelium Youth Network
- Mathieu de Fayet, Chief Innovation Officer, SUPERBLUE
- San Francisco Community Music Center
- San Francisco Girls Chorus
- Sharaya Souza, Executive Director & Co-Founder, American Indian Cultural District
PRESENTERS AND SPONSORS – Villa Albertine San Francisco, a new cultural institution dedicated to the exchange of arts and ideas between France and the US, and local partners San Francisco Public Library, KQED, California Humanities and SFMOMA support the 2022 Night of Ideas, the annual evening of philosophical talks, performances and more.
Registration is live at nightofideas.org.
Follow the event on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.